Reading turns a dull day into an adventure. Join me as I explore book covers and diaper covers in this brave new world of motherhood.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw
Amber Benson
Ace, New York, 2010
320 pages

Calliope Reapers Jones has another problem. After facing the betrayal of her older sister in the series first book, Calliope finds herself in a race against time to find the lost soul of an ancient Egyptian man. At stake: her freedom and soul - not to mention the lives of her younger sister and her father's assistant! But Callie is Death's daughter, and with that comes some responsibility, even if all she wants is a new pair of shoes...

While I really enjoy Benson's novels (they are quirky and fun), by the end of the second book I was hoping for a little bit more character development by way of Calliope. The girl just needs to suck it up and get on with accepting the fact that she is stronger than she thinks, and needs to do something proactive with that strength rather than reacting to hurdles thrown her way every day or two. I get that life (and death) is difficult - for some more than others - but the character needs to do  some serious growing up! I do intend to read the next book in the series, however I'm hoping for a vast improvement from this second book. 'C'mon, Benson - I know you can do it.

Book Count: 20 read, 180 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment