Reading turns a dull day into an adventure. Join me as I explore book covers and diaper covers in this brave new world of motherhood.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Change Anything

Change Anything
Kerry Patterson et. al.
Grand Central Publishing, 2011
288 pages (digital edition reviewed)

How many of us have set out to lose weight, conquer an addiction, or improve a relationship and failed. How many of us have blamed that failure on the lack of willpower? Yup. Me too. More than once!

Patterson and his cohorts, however, argue that willpower is just one, rather small aspect of what keeps us from changing things in our lives, and it is not genetically given. So willpower is not our answer, it's a trap. What does affect our ability to make changes in our lives? Both our motivation and skill level in three areas: personal, social and structural. If we can understand these aspects of our situations, we can change them!

Quite honestly, I do not read non-fiction very often. My life is non-fiction, I would like to escape occasionally, thank you very much! I picked up (downloaded, actually!) this book for a session at a conference I attended this month and was pleasantly surprised by its contents. Based on years of research in the United States, I found the book to be both informative and inspiring. If you are looking to change something in your life, this book is worth reading - if only to get another perspective on what you are intending to accomplish.

Book Count: 23 down, 177 to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment