Reading turns a dull day into an adventure. Join me as I explore book covers and diaper covers in this brave new world of motherhood.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Voices of Dragons


Voices of Dragons
Carrie Vaughan
Harper Collins, 2010
320 pages

In an alternate version of earth, a fragile peace has been kept between the humans and the dragons for over fifty years. The dragons have claim to the northern and mountainous regions of the planet, and their territory is banned to all humans. Kay knows all of this – her father enforces the border near her home, but she still insists on climbing the mountains close to the border of Dragon.  During one of these climbs, Kay slips and is rescued by a young dragon, Artegal. Forging a forbidden friendship, Kay and Artegal soon realize that what they share may be their two species only hope, for the human military is testing a new weapon – a weapon designed to kill dragons.

I picked up this YA novel as I enjoyed some of Vaughan’s other novels, notably Steel for Young Adults, and Discord’s Apple, one of her adult novels. I have to admit, however, that I enjoyed Voices of Dragons much more than Steel. While both teen novels have pretty predictable plot lines, the character development in Dragons was more flushed out. Plus I have a stronger belief in Dragons than time travel – go figure! Both novels are aimed at the younger teen generation, and have strong female protagonists that still suffer all of the angst that today’s teenagers suffer. Dragons may leave some readers unsatisfied, as it is unclear as to whether the book was intended to be a stand-alone novel, or the beginning of a series. My hope is that Vaughan plans to continue this series and the friendship and mystery of Kay and Artegal’s world.

Book Count: 26 read... oh heck, I'm giving up on this 200 books thing - let's just see how far I get by the end of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment