Reading turns a dull day into an adventure. Join me as I explore book covers and diaper covers in this brave new world of motherhood.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races
Maggie Stiefvater
New York: Scholastic Press, 2011
416 pages


I had the pleasure to meet Maggie Stiefvater this past summer at a book signing in London, Ontario for the last book in her Wolves of Mercy Falls series. The Scorpio Races had not yet been released, but by the way she hinted about this novel she was already making me believe that it might have been the best one she had written. I was right - it is!

Puck and Sean live on an island where the deadly capall uisce, waterhorses, come ashore and wreak havoc on the land. In turn, the islanders attempt to catch and train these animals to race in the yearly Scorpio Races. Sean has raced for years and won, and Puck is racing to save her family. Their unlikely relationship sees them through treachery, terror and loss - and that's all before the race begins.

This book had me hook, line and sinker from the first page. Filled with real characters and familiar heartache, Maggie's books continue to impress me in their manner and complexity. While written for teens, The Scorpio Races would be equally enjoyed by adults who read fantasy and/or paranormal fiction. I remain waiting ever impatiently for the next of Maggie's books!

Book Count: 18 read, 182 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment